UP TO €200K for best-in class innovators.
Equity-free funding, networking, business mentoring, and researcher-in-residence support.
Venture Builder Programme & potential venture capital investments.
LEDGER, a European project financed by the European Commission, is looking for 16 human-centric innovators to develop Minimum Viable Products and services, in order to achieve new models that preserve citizens’ digital sovereignty, where data is a common good owned by citizens and wealth created by data-driven platforms is equally distributed.
The Open Call aims at selecting 16 proposals from 5 different verticals (Health, Economy, Mobility, Public services and Energy & Sustainability) and an additional generic track. We are looking for teams of SMEs, start-ups, developers, entrepreneurs and researchers that want to shift data management, leveraging on decentralised technologies (such as blockchains, distributed ledger technology (DLT) and/or peer-to-peer), AI or IoT to address Privacy-by-design, reliability, trustworthiness and openness to build human centric solutions.
The 16 selected companies will go through a 9 month customised MVP Builder Programme and receive up to €150k in equity-free funding. The best 8 out of those will be offered additional €50K and will get in a business focused programme of 3 months.
Applications must be submitted on-line at:
Who can apply?
Applications might be submitted from teams composed by developer, designers, entrepreneurs and researchers located in Europe willing to develop a Minimum Viable Product or service, which is able to provide improvements in terms of data sovereignty for end users.
Teams must involve a multidisciplinary configuration with at least 3 members (ideally a Researcher, a Developer and a Business Developer) and must consist minimum of, either one legal entity or 3 natural persons established/resident in an EU member state or in Associated Countries to H2020.
What’s in it for the selected teams?
Selected teams will be offered intensive dedicated support (by researchers-in-residence and business mentors), access to free and open source software platforms and development frameworks and equity-free funding up to 200,000 euros for the best-in-class teams, whose 5% can be used as a voucher for consulting a number of distinguished experts in various fields.
What types of projects will be eligible?
Projects must be based in research components, relevant for the topics of Privacy-by-Design, reliability, trustworthiness and openness and consist in development, test and validation of Minimum Viable Product (MVP) or service.
Projects focused on human centric values such as privacy-by-design, reliability, trustworthiness and openness with a solid research background, will result in Minimum Viable Products spanning into 6 verticals: Health, Economy, Mobility, Public Services, Energy & Sustainability plus one open to other topics and named Disruptive Innovation
The results of these bottom-up projects will build on technical building blocks that are available under Open Licences (i.e. Open Hardware, Open Software and/or Creative Commons) to develop a sustainable product or service.
What challenges can be addressed by the projects?
Ledger project has defined in its Strategic Research and Innovation Work Programme (available at the site) sector-specific challenges that can be addressed by the applicant teams. The scope of such challenges is summarized in the lines below:
- Health: solutions to leverage patient-generated health data in a decentralised way, leading to a measurable improvement of patients’ life conditions and promoting secure and disintermediated data access, while preserving data integrity.
- Economy: solutions for innovative forms of economic interaction between peers, such as crowdfunding, P2P lending and participatory budgeting, favouring disintermediation and standardisation and demonstrating embedding governance structures.
- Mobility: design, implementation and deployment of models to build and pay for services on a decentralised and interoperable mobility ecosystem.
- Public Services: solutions streamlining bureaucratic and procurement processes, which imply the creation of interoperable public services that put citizens back in control of their data.
- Energy and sustainability: solutions tackling environmental, sustainability and circular economy issues and promoting decentralised governance data for digital sovereignty.
- Open Innovative Projects: solutions that don’t fit in the previous verticals while endorsing the general ethos of the LEDGER project. The common element for applications to this vertical is the focus on human-centric nature of the solutions.
1st OPEN CALL FACTSHEET
Project Full Name: decentraLizEd Data Governance for nExt generation internet
Project Acronym: LEDGER
Grant agreement number: 825268
Call identifier: LEDGER_OC1_MVP
Call title: 1st open call for MVP of human-centric innovators on data management
Publication date: 01/02/2019
Deadline: 30/04/2019 at 18:00 hrs. (CEST)
Expected duration of participation: up to 12 months
Indicative budget for the call: € 2.8 million.
Maximum funding support per proposal: € 200,000
Submission language: English
Web for full open call information: //ledger-open-call.fundingbox.com/
Web address for proposal submissions: //ledger-open-call.fundingbox.com/